Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Children of God

Yesterday I went to the elementery school to see if I could get a job there. They said I could be a substitute teacher on the days I didn't have class or I could be a tutor. I don't know how consistent of a job this will be, but at least it is a start.

When I was walking home from the school I pasted a boy sitting by himslef in the park. His warm smile was very welcoming, so I went over to talk to him. He told me his name was Frankie and that he was nine years old. While we were talking we looked over to see Mary, a Baha'i from Nicaragua that came to Mclaughlin for two weeks to serve the community, walk into the park, sit down with 4 children, and begin to play a game. Frankie and I decided to go join them. The seven of us played a game to learn each others names and a virtue we saw in each other. Then we sang songs, learned a quote, and played more games.

Later that night around 11:30 Frankie came over to my house because his mother was not home. He told me about how he wished he knew a little man who would give him a wish. His wish was to create a whole new world where people were kind to each other, didn't steal, used nice words, and didn't fight. He also sang me a song that helped him when he missed his friends who had died because of fighting. He picked up my prayer book and asked me what it was. I showed him some prayers for the departed, and we said some together. After we prayed for awhile I showed him The Hidden Words and told him that in that book Baha'u'llah had granted his wish. He smiled and looked ito my eyes with excitement waiting to find out how his wish had been granted. "If we follow the guidence of Baha'u'llah our hearts will be filled with his love," I said. "With his love we can build a world of peace."He opened the book and read one of the Hidden Words. As he read the words tears came to his eyes. He pointed to them, smiling, and said, "These are tears of joy, and this is a book of God."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi hannah, this looks almost exactly the same as almost every other internet blog, at least you have a good use
by the way,all the ramen went missing and we decided that either we ate it all or you took it ... did you?

8/22/2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger Hannah Scott said...

haha Logan, maybe you can help me design a more interesting one. No, I didn't take the ramen. When I left there was a whole case in the basement.

8/23/2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger anya said...

thank you for sharing this beautiful story hannah and good luck on the rez!

-anya

8/23/2006 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is amazing! the way he reacted after reading the hidden word brings tears of joy to my eyes too. His man is already watching him by sending an angle like you to him.

8/23/2006 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is quite possibly the sweetest thing i've read in ages!

9/15/2006 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home